Play...Play...Play.... and Rules, Schmules!



I like the expression that art is play with a purpose.  That doesn't mean it's not work - but it's work with joy at the core.  How do artists play?  We play with ideas - what's driving this piece of art?  We play with media -Do we use clay, painting, multimedia, collage, fiber or something else?  We play with materials - what will we pull in to use? Conventional materials?  Found objects?  Organic or inert?  We play with process - do we use those materials in an expected way or introduce them to a different use? 


"Spirit House" - multimedia    *photo by Josh Parker Photography*
 My art journey started with a need to try everything.  Eventually, fabric became my major focus until I was introduced to clay.  Clay felt like coming home and I was hooked.  Sculpture, functional ware, jewelry -- stoneware, porcelain....it filled my head with ideas and techniques that seemed endless.  Quite a few years later, clay is still my primary love, but I have discovered a fascination for multimedia.  Multimedia is PLAY in capital letters.  Anything can be thrown into the mix and used multiple ways.



Play is actively engaged in multimedia.  But what about rules?  I remember rules for this and that in my earlier short formal training in art.  Rules can shorten learning curves, improve composition and develop skills.  However, rules did not fall from the sky pre-written; someone somewhere made them up.  And while they are important in many applications, I find them restrictive when creative stretching is needed. So, I (always aiming for fun while creating) have adopted this outlook:  Use rules when safety is a factor.  Otherwise - try things. In art, things either work or they don't work.  It's usually pretty obvious too!  And if something doesn't work, try something else.  I like to dance with the materials, sometimes leading the dance, sometimes following.  Play stretches  thinking, challenges skills, lightens things up!  When the piece doesn't work, we learn things and when it does... oh WOW!


Here are a couple of experiments with clay and non-traditional surface treatments......


Clay chime - paint pens/varigated yarn

Clay chime - paper collage/glass beads



Comments

  1. Betsy (the other Betsy)October 16, 2011 at 7:28 PM

    What I think of as rules are more like building blocks -- the information you acquire and the skills you build in order for your creative expression to shoot easily from your heart to the stars. Without something to inform your expression, it won't have the character or the depth to touch other hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your definition of rules. But for me, what you describe is developed for every artist from testing and trying and exploring to see what blocks actually make their work rise up. My rant about rules was about the things I think of as the "have-to's" about what should be used with what and what one shouldn't do in process - things that inhibit play and exploration. ( More restriction than building blocks.) Rules need to inform the work, but not keep it from growing and developing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy (the other Betsy)October 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM

    I think we're actually talking about two different things, and agreeing on both! I've seen too many artists not take the time or make the effort to build skills or develop an expression that can be more than superficial. Anybody who allows someone else's inhibitions into their work hasn't learned to sing with their own voice. You, my friend, are not in that category!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts