Testing, Testing...


Hand-built Porcelain Animals - Cat 4" x 2", Dog 3" x 21/2"  Betsy J.Parker
I read an article about an accomplished clay artist years ago who said he never fires a kiln load without putting some tests in the kiln.  I think that's a good idea as often as it's possible.  This was a test to see if I could accomplish a particular look with some hand-built animals, using stain and a touch of glaze.  It was also a test to see if I could stand to sculpt in porcelain.  I'm particularly fond of stoneware clay bodies for handbuilding - love the feel, love the behavior of the clay.  Porcelain has its own good qualities, although I find it sticky for my handbuilding process.  This test was to find a way to do it, getting around the disadvantages and making use of the advantages.  I'm pleased with the test results. 

Comments

  1. I am not suprised you are pleased with the test results! Look at those little faces! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good puppy! Can't you see the excitement in his entire body?!?

    good idea about a test in every firing. Thinking about how to extend that idea to my fiber/paper work, too. THAnks!
    karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Deborah! You too, Karen! The puppy's stance from the side is even more fun. Just can't see his fun face so well from that angle! Yes -- having a test in the mix makes for more excitement somehow. Waiting for the unknown to blossom and either thrill you or not - but ALWAYS teach you something!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts