TA DAH! News about the Art Challenge!

Just for fun, the challenge was put out there to create a piece of art - 2D or 3D - using any medium and including 3 challenge materials.  Those materials were a piece of tin foil, a piece of wire and a piece of fabric.  So far only one adventurous soul has risen to the challenge and submitted a piece.  If you're still working on something, thinking about something, or trying to decide if you're ready to send something in, more submissions are certainly welcome. This is all for fun!   Here is the first: 


Angel card - Betsy Begor Perkins
 Betsy is a friend of mine.  We are jokingly known among our other friends as Betsy and the Other Betsy.  Who is called what depends on who knew which one of us first.  She makes gorgeous fabric collage cards.  To this one she added the extra challenge materials of foil and wire. Materials used:  fabric, tin foil, silver wire, silver beads.  Mod Podge, card stock. Getting the wire to stick, she said,  presented a bit of a challenge.  She solved it with Mod Podge and a dictionary!   Awesome, Betsy!!  Thanks for joining in the fun!

When I choose the materials to be included in the first C-C-P-P challenge, they were chosen mainly for their simplicity and the ease of their availability.  I didn't want anything that was difficult to find or expensive for anyone who wanted to take part in the fun.  I hadn't given any thought to how I would use them in a project myself.  As I played with them in my mind, two things surfaced - a piece of jewelry and a decorative piece on paper.  Here's the process involved in these pieces.




Multimedia Medallion - fabric, foil,  flattened copper wire, machine & hand stitching, 2 3/4" dia. On silver neck wire. - Betsy J. Parker

 Fabric pieces were arranged and collaged on felt with multi-layer foil strip inserted between pieces.  Machine stitching was varied length zig-zigs and straight stitches.  Flattened copper wire was added with embroidery floss.  Backing was attached with more stitching and a thread loop stitched at top for sliding onto neck wire.

On to the paper project: 



"Apple Tree" - Multimedia - 6"x12" - Betsy J. Parker

Here's the process.  Acrylic paint washes applied with  brush (masking applied to "save" the white space for the apple on the top right),  sea salt (yeah, I know kosher salt is the norm, but I HAD sea salt!!) added while drying to provide texture, blue paint flicked on for more depth.  Apple and leaf shapes cut from fabric and foil- small pieces of felt under apples for more dimension.  Original bird lino cut stamped on tracing paper, cut out and attached to base paper.  Elements were machine-stitched and wire stems attached.  This piece took up residence on the coffee table in the living room for the challenge period while I figured out little by little where it was going.  
So, that's where the materials took me this time.  I had fun with this and hope it kicked off something in your imagination, whether you made anything or not.  Making, musing and imagining - it's all good!

Comments

  1. ~B! Both those pieces are SO good! The piece of jewelry is vaguely primitive-looking to me, wich I like a lot; even felt the presence of a drum... And I very much like the three different treatments of apples. Love the bird, of course. I've used salt (table salt!) on paint before. Some came out wonderfully textured and some didn't change at all. Never knew why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Betsy! I had a good time working these out! The necklace hangs beautifully and may wind up kicking off a series. Who knew? I think the salt worked really well this time because the wash was still very wet when I added it. Seems to me it interacts better before the paint does much drying. Thanks for joining in the fun! ~B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Deborah! I'm sure you'll love the one sent by Karen that posted today!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts