But Seriously Folks........ clay, art, and social consciousness

There are those who say art must shock.  There are those who say art must be a force for change.  I say, well.... maybe so, but it depends on what role each artist feels is his/her own in the world.  Art can just as easily soothe, elevate, amuse or teach in gentle ways.


Sunface - Handbuilt Stoneware clay - Betsy J. Parker
 I have many friends who work in clay with the sole purpose of making items for use in daily life that impart beauty and convenience to that life.  Shocking?  Hardly!  Socially relevant?  Maybe not in the commonly-held sense, but certainly having value to the society and its members.  Using them every day is a source of pleasure and serves a purpose for the owner.  How much more pleasant is a good cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate when sipped from one's favorite mug?  There's an art to the fit in the hands, the touch to the lips that makes one mug amazing and another ordinary.

Fiber art can be utilitarian or decorative. That handmade totebag, sweater, coat, tablecloth -- all with purpose-  but with beauty and voice beyond the purpose.  Decorative pieces, whether fiber, paint, clay or any medium or combination of media, can brighten a space, transport the viewer, enrich lives and stimulate thought.  A handmade object carries with it a part of the soul who made it. 

 Some folks use art to speak their minds on social issues.  Some use it to push people out of their comfort zones and toward a different understanding.  Does it need to shock or chide or lecture?? No, though it can if that is the artist's message. But in our world where technology allows awareness of much that is contentious and negative, it can also soothe, comfort or elevate.

.  My work is mostly about the latter. I want my art to lift spirits, to coax smiles, to produce giggles - to make a bright landing place in the viewer's day.  Does that make me better than artist who shocks?  Certainly not!  It just makes me "me."


Handbuilt stoneware clay "baskets", platter,  incidental dishes, brushwork cat plates - Betsy J. Parker
 My thanks to those of you who are reading my blog as it finds its way in the blogosphere.  I'm looking forward to sharing some interesting things with you this year and having more challenges - just for fun!  Wishing you all a very Happy New Year full of everything that is good!

Comments

  1. Love all that writing about what art is and can be and might be! For me, art is what engages me -- mind and heart. Sometimes by surprise, sometimes by a laugh, sometimes it uplifts me, sometimes it makes me catch my breath -- and sometimes all those other things you mentioned. But it MUST engage my attention first of all, otherwise I'm outta there.

    Your sunface is one that makes me catch my breath with its sweetness, like the smile of a baby. The others are engaging with amusement. And all make me want to pat you on the back with a WELL DONE! I'm so glad you do what you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect definition of art! And thank you for your "atta girl." Lucky me to have such wonderful friends!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Reeta! And thanks for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts